Sunday, November 13, 2005

Remembering the Fulbrighters

I've been thinking of something to write today. It actually surprises me why suddenly I get so inspired to blog.... in two consecutive days at that!

Let's see what's randomly in my thoughts at the moment....

Oh, it has been five months already since I first experienced a taste of the "Land of the Free." I can vividly recall how I spent the 13th day of June attending our first session on the US Foreign Policy academic program. Apart from the welcome reception that was hosted for us the night before, that second Monday of June was our first official day of forging friendships and engaging ourselves into intellectually-stimulating exchanges. The Ms. Congeniality in me shone through as I easily made friends with my seventeen colleagues in the program.... Black, brown or white; short, medium or tall; male or female; young or old.... It didn't really matter at all. Imagine I am speaking of people coming from various cultures around the world.

Canoeing at Saluda River: Our First Outdoor Activity

Admittedly, I miss these new friends I have met five months ago. Being with them for six weeks was truly life-changing and an experience I would always cherish. Perhaps that is why, during our farewell banquet, I kept on holding back the tears wanting to fall from my "deep-set" eyes (haha, they have become such due to successive late nights!)....

Earlier today, I got an e-mail reply from one of my colleague-friends: that vivacious and intelligent lawyer from Jordan. I remember he was the tallest in our group.... and I happen to be the shortest (and who looked like the youngest, too!). I was worried about him and his family when I learned about the recent bombings in his country.... just as how worried I was for my Indian roommate & Pakistani colleague when a strong earthquake hit their countries (not to mention the bombings in New Delhi); same with the ongoing riots happening in Paris where our French guy (our "Mafia boss") in the group is.... and so on and so forth.
Alas, I can't help but wonder when would I see these seventeen wonderful people again.... Thanks to Ibrahim (my Jordanian friend), he mentioned about a possible reunion in his e-mail. The idea has since then kept lurking at the back of my mind. I wonder if the government of Uncle Sam would gladly finance us once more for such get-together in the future. Haha, dream on, Ms. Philippines!
Group Photo Inside the HART Senate Office Building:
Our First Formal Meeting in Washington, D.C.

But who knows, we might cross paths again.... I will definitely look forward to that day. :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home