Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cruisin'

For a change, I am writing a non-LP entry today. :-)

On the first Monday of June (yup, that was two Mondays ago... June 2), I wasn't able to get up very early. This was, of course, unusual on a first day of the week since I normally leave the house between 6:00 to 6:30 a.m. Reason? My car plate ends in "1" so that means I'm banned from the Metro streets on Mondays during rush hours. Needless to say that despite the "window time" (to which I could hit the road), it isn't just applicable in Makati. Passing through this City to get to my place of work is a must... So to avoid getting caught by the YBs (the 'Yellow Boys' in uniform of Makati traffic enforcers), I'd rather be a law-abiding citizen.
You've probably get the drift. I commuted on my way to work and hmm, took a cab with hubby getting off in the corner of JP Rizal and Zapote Streets (he works in Makati, by the way). Taking the cab is the fastest, most convenient, and most comfortable way of going to the office! But then, this mode of transportation is definitely more expensive if I go by the 5-6 rides until I get to work. On second thought, it might just be a little bit more expensive... hehe.
FAST FORWARD. It's time to go home and call it a day at work.
Finally, I decided to try out the Pasig River Ferry on my way home. It has been more than a month since I started working full-time in Intramuros and I have always wondered when would be my chance to experience cruising along the once clean and clear waters of Manila's famous waterway. I was thankful for having missed out on waking up oh-so early; and of course, for having less work in the office that day! The last time a friend cum officemate and I checked at the nearby ferry station at Plaza Mexico, Intramuros, the last trip leaves at 7:00 p.m. That was sometime in April so I was keeping my fingers crossed that the schedule hasn't changed since then...
During rush hours, a 30-minute interval on boat trips is followed. Ergo, the second to the last trip is at 6:30 p.m. Well, at least that was the last time I knew! So I left the office at about 6:10 p.m. and took the pedicab on my way to the ferry station. Since the pedicab ride is about 5 to 10 minutes going to the station, I was comfortable with the thought that I would not be left behind by the 6:30 p.m. ferry schedule. It's always best to be in the station at least 10-15 minutes before the scheduled trip for there had been reported instances that the ferry leaves about 5 minutes in advance.... (I should know, I once missed the ferry from the nearby station in our place of residence en route to my workplace... so I ended up taking the cab!)
Nearing the station, I could see a boat transversing the river away from the docking area. My hunch tells me that 'oh no, I'm missing again the ferry ride?!'.... True enough, the people in the station told me that the 6:15 p.m. boat just left and that indeed, there were changes in the schedule. Which reads:

If there's any consolation, I can still take the last trip and experience the 50-minute ride from Manila (Plaza Mexico station) to Mandaluyong City (Hulo station). This would still be a better public transpo for me since after getting off from Hulo, I would just have to take a tricycle to get home. Travel time isn't bad either. And yeah, each ferry is equipped with good a/c! My list of rationalization goes on and on... I did my homework and did some research in the past on people who had already taken this mode of transport, so to speak. :-)

Having time to kill, I found myself naturally chatting with the people on duty in the Plaza Mexico station. I even got the station manager's mobile phone number so that I can reach him to verify the trip schedule. Since this station just opened up early April, they do not have a phone line yet nor electricity! Ayus, hindi ba? But don't get me wrong. The station is sparkling clean and looks very modern (station in the photo is not in Plaza Mexico but the general appearance is comparable to it and other stations). It even has a water dispenser.

Anyhow, the ferry which was scheduled to depart at 7:00 p.m. already docked at Plaza Mexico as early as 6:35 p.m. At about 6:50 p.m., I decided to move closer to the ferry and took quick shots from my ever-reliable camera phone. :-)

And just before boarding Pasig River Ferry 2, I had an eye for this....
Having successfully boarded the ferry, I got mesmerized with this view of the bridge (Hmm, what's the name of that bridge near the Post Office Building? I don't think this is Jones Bridge... I'm referring to that one near Escolta where the next station is located. Could it be Sta. Cruz bridge?!). And then again, my camera phone clicked away!
A bit tired from work, I decided to go inside the ferry and check out how the 'inside' looks... and since we were about to start our journey in the River, it was time for us few passengers on board to take our seats. Since I wasn't able to take photos already (I told you, I was a bit tired already... hehe), here's how the ferry's interior looks. :-) That's minus the television since I was told that Ferry 2's TV set is under repair... nevertheless, there was background music to keep passengers entertained. :-)
The a/c was too cold for me despite many passengers boarding the ferry in Escolta and Quezon Bridge stations. Maybe I chose a seat almost across the aircon vent? Whatever! This just proves that despite the ferry 'carrying' people from all walks of life, cleanliness inside the boat has thus far been maintained and the a/c, thank goodness, has been functioning well, too.
I actually tried to catch a nap during the boat trip. Apart from the a/c being too cold for me, I became so eager in finding out the other stations before I reach my destination. I had this flyer which I left in the office containing a map of different stations all the way from Plaza Mexico, Intramuros to Kalawaan, Pasig. Nonetheless, let me share with you the entire stretch of the Pasig River Ferry Service Project. For now, the stations towards Marikina area are not yet operational. It is also possible that there are now modifications from the said proposed plan.
Alas! On the ninth station (including Plaza Mexico) from where I boarded, I had to alight the ferry at Hulo station. I definitely enjoyed my ride home and it was a far-cry from the hustle and bustle of the Metro streets... no traffic jams (well, except for those water lilies! haha) and sans high humidity. One gets entertained by just merely marveling at the varous sights along Pasig River -- from ruins, shipwrecks, old and/or abandoned factories, major bridges, old yet picturesque buildings, to slum areas -- you name it!
For a good price of Php 35, my trip from Intramuros to Mandaluyong was a very pleasant experience! There will definitely be future trips to take (what with the neverending price hikes of gasoline, hmp) and I do look forward to taking photos during day time. Indeed, given more time and perhaps good marketing, the Pasig River Ferry would prove to be a better alternative mode of transport for commuters, adventurers, and tourists alike. :D
Until my next ride!
P.S.
Oh, the river wasn't smelly! According to the ferry staff, there are only certain times that one gets to experience the stinking smell of the river.... But then again, if you prefer to stay inside the airconditioned part of the ferry, there wouldn't be such smell after all! Not bad, huh? ;-)
As Ate Shawie would say in her then famous WG&A Superferry advertisement, Sakay na!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I do hope this becomes a popular mode of transport in the metropolis. It does make sense, di ba? The Pasig River used to be the life of the city.

I hope you can share more pictures of the ferry and the view next time... ang ganda ng night shot mo pala, mukhang sa abroad kinunan ito ha.

6/11/08, 8:38 PM  
Blogger Dragon Lady said...

Thanks for dropping by, chinois97!

I commuted again today on my way to work but missed the ferry. Most likely, I'll catch the boat's last trip on my way home later. :)

Yup, will post more pics!

6/12/08, 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aba, galeng ha! :) sana nga magtuloy-tuloy na yan, kasi i remember nagkaroon na rin ng ferry service dati (nung nakatira pa kami sa sta.cruz), pero parang hindi nag-click. is it the same one? makabawas man lang sa traffic, hehe.

sakay mo kami ni ninna diyan pag-uwi namin ha? :D

6/13/08, 10:33 PM  
Blogger Dragon Lady said...

hi meeya! maliit lang daw ata yung dating ferry sabi ni eric... nakasakay na rin sya dati. :)

sure, i would love to tour you, ninna and papa A and experience the ride along pasig river! :D

6/14/08, 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maraming salamat sa very informative na post na ito. I'm planning to take the ferry later papunta ng Ortigas, I presume sa Guadalupe na lang ako bababa no? Ayoko mag MRT at gusto ko pa mabuhay. hehehehe. :-)

8/15/08, 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home